Friday, January 27, 2012

Where to start?

As far back as I can remember Chuffy had funky diapers. His stools were looser and smellier than his older brother Munch's. I chalked it up to each kid being different.
When it came time to start solid food Chuffy ate like a champ. Munch hated baby food and still has an aversion to anything with a similar texture. Chuffy begged for more, often screaming because I couldn't shovel it in fast enough.
Then after a few weeks of intermittent feeding, came a few incidents of projectile vomiting. The first time I chalked it up to bad gas because he had a big bowel movement after. The second time Hubs said it was from the rice cereal. I told him that was impossible because rice is so gentle on bellies. Well, that night was my scariest night ever. His episode of projectile vomiting lasted from 10:20 pm-2:30 am straight. He puked until nothing came out and then he heaved. For HOURS. It was not just puking, his eyes rolled back in his head and he waas cold/clammy to the touch. In retrospect I feel that he was going into shock, but I did nothing because our doctor's emergency help line said to do nothin unless he goes 6 hours without a wet diaper. I took him to the doc the next day and said it was probably a virus because rice is so gentle. I was told to wait a week or so and try rice again because we needed to give his stomach time to heal.
About a week and a half later I tried rice cereal again. I mixed it as usual with expressed breastmilk and tried to spoon it in Chuffy's mouth. He wanted no part of it, so I only managed to get a few spoonfuls in. Two hours later to the minute Chuffy started projectile vomiting. I knew what I was in for so I had my MIL come and get Munch so I could tend to Chuffy. Hubs got very scared and googled "projectile vomiting rice ceral" and found FPIES. He sent me the link and it confirmed every symptom Chuffy ever had.
*mucousy, watery stools that smelled like buttered popcorn (yum, I know)
*inability to sleep for more than 2 hours at a stretch
*painful gas
*red ring of a diaper rash
*lots of spitting up (even as a tiny baby, his spitting up was more like throwing up)

...and so started our journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment