Saturday, February 4, 2012

allergist

We took Chuffy to a local allergist on Tuesday. He was super sweet, but never heard of FPIES. After hearing about his symptoms he diagnosed Chuffy with enteropathy. He took two monster vials of blood to test for IgE reactions to the common triggers. The results come back in ten days and we'll know if we have to carry an epi pen for any reactions.
We were told to avoid all grains and dairy and to introduce fruits and veggies one at a time waiting 2 to 3 weeks per food to test for a reaction. I was told that I can still keep breast feeding and I don't have to avoid any food (other than rice, which causes him to get irritable, vomit and have bloody stools even through my milk), but if I notice he reacts after I eat certain foods, to certanily cut them out of my diet. He wants us back in 4 weeks.
After I got home I did some research on enteropathy. Basically, it is the same thing as FPIES but it does not impact the colon. FPIES reactions usually include bloody stools whereas enteropathy does not. Keegan certainly gets bloody stools after he ingests rice, so I think he definately has FPIES. This is why we are going to Mt. Sinai in March. They have done so much research with FPIES and have so many patients with it, so I will trust their diagnosis more than a doctor not familiar with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment